Report Info

Report ID

Report type

Smart Contract

Has PoC?

Yes

Target

Impacts

• Griefing (e.g. no profit motive for an attacker, but damage to the users or the protocol)
  • Unbounded gas consumption
  • Temporary freezing of funds for at least 1 hour

Bug Description

Good Day Operations,

Apologies my last submission was not impact specific.

I hope you view my persistence to get these bugs fixed as my ongoing commitment to the safety of your protocol as a security researcher.

The closest medium attack according to Immunefi impact in scope is:

1. Griefing (e.g. no profit motive for an attacker, but damage to the users or the protocol)
  2. Unbounded gas consumption
  3. Even a high of Temporary freezing of funds for at least 1 hour

With that context:

1. I created a Malicious ERC20 with unbounded loop

Attack:

1. Attacker calls beanstalk with malicious token with external to internal modebeanstalk.transferToken(address(FakeToken), address(attacker), 10_000_000e6, 0, 1);
  2. beanstalk safeTransferFrom() calls attacker fake ERC20 token transferFrom()
  3. fake ERC20 token transferFrom includes an unbounded loop that calls back into bean with real bean token with 0 value beanstalk.transferToken(address(bean), address(attacker), 0, 0, 1);
  4. Contract is stuck in an unbounded loop

For sake of clarity this is the simplest unbouded loop. There are other more complex variations but its to proof the point.

while (true) {
        // Code inside the loop (e.g., modifying state variables).
    }

If tokenFacet is responsible for gas it can lead to additional unbounded gas consumption If original caller is responsible for gas with, sufficient gas attacker can Temporary freezing of funds for at least 1 hour

Impact

As mentioned earlier the following impacts are possible:

1. Griefing (e.g. no profit motive for an attacker, but damage to the users or the protocol)
  2. Unbounded gas consumption
  3. Even a high of Temporary freezing of funds for at least 1 hour

Risk Breakdown

Difficulty to Exploit: Easy Weakness: CVSS2 Score:

Recommendation

1. validate erc20 token submitted to tokenTransfer()
  2. create non-reentrant modifier for tokenTransfer()

Proof of concept

1. mkdir beanPOC
  2. forge init
  3. delete default Counter.sol and Counter.t.sol
  4. insert beanLoop.sol and interfaces.sol into src folder

run with forge test --contracts ./src/beanLoop.sol -vv

All the best with your analysis

BIC Response

This is not a valid bug report because the described attack does not lead to any of the listed impacts. The only user that can be griefed is the user of the "malicious" ERC-20 contract.

For example, the following statement:

If tokenFacet is responsible for gas it can lead to additional unbounded gas consumption If original caller is responsible for gas with, sufficient gas attacker can Temporary freezing of funds for at least 1 hour

... does not make sense, as only the user who calls transferFrom on the "malicious" token would be paying for gas (i.e., they'd grief themselves).

Due to these reasons, we are closing the submission and no reward will be issued.