Security Report: Takeover of https://analytics.bean.money/ Pointing to Netlify
Websites and Applications
Subdomain takeover other than app.bean.money
Title: Web Application Security Testing
Bug type = Server Security Misconfiguration > Misconfigure DNS > High Impact Subdomain Takeover
Priority= P2 (HIGH)
Hi Beanstalk Team,
Recently, i just found some of your domain (*bean.money) pointing to vulnerable Third Party site "Netlify" This issue is about your subdomain being misconfigured in Netlify
Based on the vulnerability. The impact here is the attacker can have the full access to the subdomain's content. Which can create a full copy of the Web Application Used by Beanstalk Finance One Example: Initiating Malicious Transactions
The impact of this is that the transactions are being requested from a reputable project, so people would not hesitate to sign the transaction since the subdomain is legitimate bean.money. The process is to connect to the blockchain via Web3 and a crypto wallet such as MetaMask on the victim’s browser to process the transaction to an attacker-owned address.
- Risk: Severe
- Difficulty to Exploit: Easy
- Complexity: Easy
- Weakness Categories: Deployment Misconfiguration/Stored XSS/Authentication Bypass (CWE: 16)
- CVSS2 Score: 9.3 (AV:N/AC:M/Au:S/C:C/I:C/A:N)
- Check your DNS-configuration for subdomains pointing to services, not in use
- Set up your external service so it fully listens to your wildcard DNS.
- Our advice is to keep your DNS entries constantly vetted and restricted.
- Preventing subdomain takeovers is a matter of order of operations in lifecycle management for virtual hosts and DNS. Depending on the size of the organization, this may require communication and coordination across multiple departments, which can only increase the likelihood for a vulnerable misconfiguration.
- Create an inventory of all of your organization’s domains and their hosting providers, and update it as things change, to ensure that nothing is left dangling
Proof of concept
Steps to Reproduce
- Go to Netlify and create an account
- Create a new project and deploy a sample app
- Go to Settings>Domains
- Then add the vulnerable subdomain analytics.bean.money
- Ownership is done.
This is not a valid bug report because it is expected behavior. The analytics.bean.money site is no longer in service.
Due to these reasons, we are closing the submission and no reward will be issued.